Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 10:19:33 +0100
From:      "José Mª Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Anand Natarajasundaram <annatara@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port on PowerPC

"Anand Natarajasundaram" <annatara@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a PowerPC 603e based hardware. I intend to have  FreeBSD running
> on it.
>     Is there a FreeBSD port on PowerPC ?

Ah, I would like that too. Unfortunately, FreeBSD only runs on
Intel x86 architectures, and there is also a port for Alpha being
worked on. There is another team working on a SPARC port.

For PowerPC chips there are at least to Linux variants available:
MkLinux and LinuxPPC. I have tried the second one, and it runs
fine (but it is not FreeBSD!).

There is another possibility: perhaps Connectix's VirtualPC might
run FreeBSD. I tried this with VirtualPC 1.0.1 to no avail; but
I have not tried to run FreeBSD on VirtualPC 2.1...

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-944858139