Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 1995 15:28:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      a00776@giant.mindlink.net (Toomas Losin)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RAM sizing doesn't quite work correctly

I recently upgraded our news server from 64 megs to 128, which required
using MAXMEM to specify 128 megs before the kernel would recognize it.
This worked properly, however in testing I found that specifying *more*
RAM than you actually had led to problems with paging.

What I did was recompile the kernel on a machine with limited memory
(a 486 with 8 megs) with MAXMEM set to 128 megs and LARGEMEM defined.
This kernel correctly sized the memory *but* something goes wrong with
the paging because starting up a make depend on the kernel source
renders the machine unusable after a few minutes.  After the make depend
has run for about 10 minutes, vmstat -s reports 30 million pages examined
by the page daemon vs. 30 thousand with the old kernel.  Setting
MAXMEM to 8 megs produced a kernel that worked correctly.  Interesting, no?