Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 17:27:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>
To:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv problems

Roger Hardiman writes:
 > > Looks like direct capture mode isn't working.
 >
 > run fxtv with
 >
 > fxtv -disableDirectV
 >
 > FXTV runs in two modes
 > 1) DGA mode. (or Direct Video mode)
 > A DMA transfer from the TV card to the VGA card.
 > However, this needs the later releases of XFree86 and some
 > older S3 cards had problems. It is only used when there are
 > NO menus pulled down and then NO other windows partly cover fxtv.
 >
 > 2) NORMAL MODE. This mode is enabled whenever another Window partly
 > covered or has a Menu pulled down. (or does not have DGA eg
 > AcceleratedX)
 > fxtv -disableDirectV forces this mode all the time.

I'm running XFree86 3.3.2, so the problem must be in my S3 card. :-(

I discovered that 'dga' is a free86 test program for DGA mode and when
I try to run it I get

> dga
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
  Serial number of failed request:  12

which seems to be damning evidence that there's something wrong with
the card.

But why does dtv-tuner work so smoothly at 640x480 mode, but fxtv
jitters?  Is dtv-tuner using DGA?  Does this have something to do with
drawing to a normal window instead of drawing to the root window?  It
appears that even in full-screen mode (when fxtv changes the
resolution), fxtv is drawing to a normal window (I can see a little
bit of window decoration).

thanks,
-david.