Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:15:24 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        rwatson@FreeBSD.org, jhb@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: CTF patch for testing/review

Quoting "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> (from Thu, 25 Mar 2010
07:37:36 -0600 (MDT)):

> In general, I think this is OK.  I'd like to see the revised patch
> before it is committed.

And here it is:
   http://www.Leidinger.net/test/ctf3.diff

My commit log would be something like this:
---snip---
WITH_CTF can now be specified in src.conf (not recommended, there
are some problems with static executables), make.conf (would also
affect ports which do not use GNU make and do not override the
compile targets) or in the kernel config (via "makeoptions
WITH_CTF=yes").

Additional (related) changes:
  - propagate WITH_CTF to module builds
  - do not add -g to the linker flags, it's a noop there anyway
    (at least according to the man page of ld)
  - do not add -g yo CFLAGS unconditionally
    we need to have a look if it is really needed (IMO not) or if there
    is a way to add it only when WITH_CTF is used

Note: don't worry when you see ctfconvert lines appearing in your build,
they are protected with a shell conditional and are not run as long as
you don't have WITH_CTF defined.

Reviewed by:    imp, jhb, scottl (earlier version)
Discussed on:   arch@
---snip---

If nobody comes up with problems (or wants more time for the review):
I would like to commit this next week.

Bye,
Alexander.

--