Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 11:02:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        dgilbert@velocet.ca (David Gilbert)
Cc:        jgreco@ns.sol.net (Joe Greco), stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahc problems (with vinum?)

David Gilbert wrote...
> ... and just to add a different spin to things... I have seen this on
> our busier 2 drive systems, but it is much more rare.

Things that appear to be the "same problem" to a casual observer can often
actually be the result of two very different problems.

For instance, I had two Quantum Atlas II's on one Ultra-Wide chain, and was
able to get timeouts and errors from the Adaptec driver on a pretty regular
basis.

The problem was not cabling or termination, but rather bogus drive
firmware.  The drives would just kinda lockup under high bus traffic.  The
problem went away when I upgraded the firmware.

That's why I need to see the actual, full errors reported in order to have
a chance at guessing what your problem is.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org