Date:      Wed, 13 May 2015 07:05:04 -0700
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
To:        andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: damage to pkg's sqlite data base

On Wed, 13 May 2015 18:26:11 +1000 andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com> wrote

> On Tue 2015-05-12 23:47:02 UTC-0700, Chris H (bsd-lists@bsdforge.com) wrote:
>
> > I whined about it the first time my DB blew up. It's become
> > corrupted several times since on different boxes/versions. *but*
> > after the first time, I made it a habit of making a copy of it *before*
> > embarking on an upgrade, or install of any ports.
>
> Can you post a link to your message and/or a link to your FreeBSD PR on
> Bugzilla?
>
> I use FreeBSD on a number of machines (bare metal & virtual) and have
> never encountered local.sqlite corruption, and maybe I haven't been
> paying attention but I haven't noticed anyone else mention it on the
> list until now.
>
> As I said to the OP, if you encounter this problem and you're sure
> it's not caused externally (hardware or filesystem corruption) then
> it's probably worthwhile making your corrupted local.sqlite available
> somewhere for it to be looked at by someone who understands SQLite.
That's exactly what I did. In fact, Bapt asked for the DB, which I
happily provided. While I've run into the problem several times,
and on different hardware/FreeBSD versions, I've only mentioned it once,
and it was on the mailing list. On the upside, I (knock on wood) haven't
run into the problem for at least 2 mos. So here's hoping that work
that's been done has [at least] *minimized* the likelihood of DB
corruption. :)