Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 23:52:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cat-5 KVM extenders

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Glenn Johnson wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with running FreeBSD systems with
> X over a cat-5 extender such as the Raritan Cat5 Reach or the
> Avocent Long View?
>
> I am particularly interested in any comments on the video quality
> and if there are any performance issues.

It doesn't matter what you use with the KVM-over-CAT5 stuff, it'll
work fine.  It is completely transparent to the OS and to the hardware
it is attached to.  I'm using a Cybex (now Avocent) LongView at work
and the quality of an 800x600@72Hz display (on an NT server, but that
doesn't matter) over a 300-foot CAT5E run is perfect.  I've tried
higher resolutions and refresh rates and they looked nearly perfect as
well.

I'm also rather impressed with Avocent's warranty support.  We'd been
using the LongView for a couple of years when it lost a color channel
and I had to send it back to be repaired and the warranty had already
expired.  They fixed it and never charged me for the out-of-warranty
work.  I dunno, maybe they were just being nice to a public school
district.  :-)

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet