Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 21:07:47 -0600
From:      Frank Griffith <frankg@idfw.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Using FreeBSD as Internet Gateway for Windows 95 computers

-----Original Message-----
From:	Frank Griffith [SMTP:frankg@idfw.com]
Sent:	Tuesday, January 20, 1998 9:04 PM
To:	'Ludwig Pummer'
Subject:	RE: your mail

-----Original Message-----
From:	Ludwig Pummer [SMTP:ludwigp@bigfoot.com]
Sent:	Tuesday, January 20, 1998 7:19 PM
To:	Frank Griffith; questions@freebsd.org
Subject:	Re: your mail

At 12:02 PM 1/20/98 -0600, Frank Griffith wrote:
>I want to use my now functioning FreeBSD machine as a getway to
>the internet for some Windows 95 machines which are hooked up
>to it via ethernet cards and some BNC cable. So, if I go to the
>FreeBSD box and make a PPP connection with my ISP, can
>I now go to the Windows 95 machine and set the Internet
>browser to use 192.168.0.1 (my FreeBSD unit's IP) as the
>proxy server? That seem oversimplified now that I spell it
>out. But can it be that simple?

You can make it that simple, if you get squid and install it on your
FreeBSD machine. However, if you want your Win95 machines to have full
internet access:

[Frank Griffith  FOLLOW-UP QUESTION]

Okay, cool. I went through the ppp.html many times in the last few nights
and think I have all that covered. The Windows 95 machine has been set
to use 192.168.0.1 as its gateway, my ISP's primary and secondary IPs
have been set on the DNS part of the TCP/IP for the NIC. I also double
checked the gateway_enable="YES" in the rc.conf.

Now with all that said, do I still need a proxy server program running at
the FreeBSD box? I assume squid is just such a program. I was actually
under the impression that the FreeBSD machine would just route the
requests from the browsers to the ISP.

Thanks for your reply. I think I'm about to get this FreeBSD stuff!

Have ppp run with -alias. You need to set gateway_enable="YES" on the
FreeBSD machine in rc.conf. Your Win95 machines need to be set up to use
192.168.0.1 as their gateway, in the Network / TCP/IP part of Control
Panel, as well as specifying the ISP's DNS servers in the DNS setup.

http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/ppp.html has a nice step-by-step
description for how to do exactly what you want to do.
--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com   ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org
PGP Key & Geek Code available on web page