Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2006 02:39:12 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which ports store/use OPTIONS (/var/db/ports/portname/options)?

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 09:32:10AM +0100, Clement Laforet wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:18:07PM -0500, Chris Shenton wrote:
> > Other ports don't, like www/apache22.  This is annoying because I have
> > to remember when I rebuild it, and portupgrade won't get my needed
> > tweaks like WITH_PROXY_MODULES.
> >
> > For apache22 I've set my needed tweaks in /etc/make.conf but that
> > doesn't seem the best place, especially since the config names are so
> > generic, like WITH_SSL_MODULES.
>
> www/apache2* ports can't be converted to OPTIONS since many build time
> options are not simple defines.
>
> clem

Likewise, www/cgiwrap can't be fully converted to OPTIONS for this
reason (i.e. supporting a custom logfile location), and the same for
www/suphp.

Personally, I've never liked OPTIONS and /var/db/ports.  I consider it
"another directory I have to worry about", especially if the port
author changes some of the OPTIONS names between port revisions ("Eh?
Why is this port building with the wrong settings... *30 minutes later*
Oh, hrm...").  I'm also not very fond of curses, especially when it
comes to dealing with it over a serial console that lacks proper
terminal support.

Additionally, there needs to be dialog --inputbox support for OPTIONS
to become useful.

I'd rather see both WITH_* and OPTIONS done away with altogether, and
the entire framework replaced with a tree-based configuration file.
Actually, this would apply to make.conf.  Something remotely like:

# Affects both system/kernel and ports
IPV6 = no
X11  = no

# ports tree only
ports {
  devel/gettext {
    EXAMPLES = no
    HTMLMAN  = no
  }
  www/apache20 {
    KQUEUE_SUPPORT = yes
  }
  www/suphp {
    CHECKPATH = no
    LOGFILE   = /var/log/suphp.log
  }
}

Some people simply stick all of the WITH_* tweaks into make.conf, which
I disagree with, since it clutters the file and applies to all ports
(rather than each individual port).

But that's for another discussion...

| Making life hard for others since 1977.                             |