Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 00:04:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joe Kudada <jkudada@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CheckUPS software for FreeBSD?

Would appreciate knowing if someone's managed to port
Best Power's CheckUPS II Advanced Client to FreeBSD
yet. Currently, Powerware only provide ports for their
CheckUPS II Advanced suite to run on other
Unix/BSD/Linux OS's.

I searched www.FreeBSD.org/Ports with no luck. A
search of the mailing list archives proved more
fruitful though - it seems there were attempts to port
the client but the correspondense was meager and quite
dated so I gather the Client hasn't been ported
successfully yet.

My primary servers (NT machines) are all powered by
the same SOLA UPS and have been served well by the
CheckUPS Advanced Suite (for WinNT/2000). One server,
connected directly to the UPS' serial port, runs the
CheckUPS server, whilst the others run CheckUPS client
which communicate with the CheckUPS server via the
network. Just lately I've decided to add a test
FreeBSD server (which I'm hoping will become
permanent) hence the need to port the CheckUPS client.

I know FreeBSD has ports like NUT - Network Ups Tools
(/usr/ports/sysutils/nut) which has also been ported
to NT, but (as mentioned earlier) our servers are
currently working OK with the CheckUPS suite,  so I
'dont want to fix them !'  :^)

Powerware were kind enough to e-mail me the source
code for the suite (v3.25) and I tried to compile the
Client from that (source files; checkups.c and
upsterm.c). Doing so resulted in several errors, a
sample of which is shown below;

#gcc -w checkups.c upsterm.c -o CHECKUPS
checkups.c:2207: storage size of `ttyctl' isn't known
checkups.c:2288: `TCSETA' undeclared (first use in
this function)
checkups.c:2288: (Each undeclared identifier is
reported only once
checkups.c:2288: for each function it appears in.)
upsterm.c:223: invalid use of undefined type `struct
termio'
upsterm.c:242: `TCSETA' undeclared (first use in this
function)
upsterm.c:324: `TCGETA' undeclared (first use in this
function)
upsterm.c:330: `ttynew' has an incomplete type
upsterm.c:52: storage size of `ttyctl' isn't known

This leaves me with 3 options now;
1. Edit the code.
I'm new  (but fascinated) with C and a newcomer to the
FreeBSD environment as well but I'm willing have crack
at it! So any clues as to why I'm getting these errors
would be much appreciated. eg: Are TCSETA and TCGETA
I/O calls? If so, what are the FreeBSD equivalents?
Where can I find info on these FreeBSD specific
details @ FreeBSD.org ? etc.

2.Add Linux binary support to my kernal and then
install the Powerware's Linux version of the Client

3. Wait for some kind soul ;^) to send me a port that
works.

Thanks
BTW: I'm running FreeBSD 4.6.2 Release but will be
upgrading to 4.7 Release