Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:47:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Brian Sobolak <sobolak@mindspring.com>, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Scylla (pat. pending) and Charibdes.NET

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

:Jamie Bowden said on Oct 31, 2001 at 11:38:41:

:> :Why not support your local bookseller instead?

:> Because paying more for a smaller selection is right up there on the list
:> of stupid things to do with your time.

:Is it?  Depends on how you define "stupid".

:One can't leaf through a book at Amazon, or read a few pages, or
:browse an entire bookshelf looking for something that grabs your
:attention.

You're correct, which is why I shop at B&N or Borders in person (I have
both within 5 minutes of my house).  I get a huge selection, better
pricing than a one off bookstore can deliver, and if neither has the
selection I want, then I'll go online.  Like it or not, economies of scale
work in your favor.

So long as B&N and Borders are separate entities competing for mass market
share, we all win.  If the mom and pop shops can't compete with them,
sorry, but it's not my problem.

Personally, I've never ordered a book online.  If I can't sit down with it
and look over it first, I'm not going to spend money on it.  I stopped
using B&N for special orders when they started using the website to
special order the book in store, expecting me to pay retail plus shipping.
They lose; Borders wins.  Shame really, as B&N has a nicer layout with
better organization than Borders (at least, in the stores in northern bits
of .va.us.)

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"