Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 95 16:07:59 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        jeffh@Cybernetics.NET (Jeff)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Advice on new motherboard...

> The two boards I am considering are:
>
> ASUS Dual-Pentium PCI/ISA with Neptune Chipset  -- $351
> ASUS Single-Pentium PCI with Trident Chipset    -- $250 (near there)
                               ^^^^^^^
If you don't care about flavor, you should definitely go with the
sugarless chipset.  8-).

The dual pentium should work under NT as well, since it supposedly
supports SMP out of the box.  The dual machine will work in single
processor mode with or without the extra chip in place for FreeBSD
(several people have noted running in this configuration before).

I believe the Triton won't give you that much better performance
without the new cache RAM, which as far as I know isn't widely
available.  If you've got a source for EDRAM, it'd probably be
fun to play with, though.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---