Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 16:05:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hm@altona.hamburg.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A question of downloading device drivers

Terry Lambert writes:

> > Do you mean that the device driver code should access a file in the
> > filesystem directly ?
>
> Yes; at attach time, it should do the download by reading a download
> file from the root FS.  Not at interrupt level, of course.
>
> You could actually delay until first open.  Like a "touch" instance in
> /etc/rc, or whatever.

Or have a standard monitor daemon that monitors a request
queue for service, and the drivers can send it requests.  I thought
about this when I was thinking about downloading the SCSI type
drivers for drivers that you don't need until somewhere in /etc/rc.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936