Date:      Sun, 07 Sep 2014 12:46:29 -0400
From:      Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net>
To:        Gary Aitken <ah@dreamchaser.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: convert for use on youtube

--As of September 4, 2014 11:18:28 PM -0600, Gary Aitken is alleged to have
said:

> Thanks.
> I created different .webm files with vp8 and vorbis and uploaded them,
> but they didn't play (over a period of several hours).
> However, some hours later they do play; apparently there's some magic
> done to them *after* all of the upload processing is supposedly done.
> Or at least that's what it appears like.
>
> An uploaded big .mov file plays right away; in what form it's fed to the
> browser is not at all clear to me.  However, this might all be a feature
> of time of day and the youtube load.  Is there an easy way to tell what
> the content being served to the browser actually is?

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Completely anecdotal, but I occasionally download videos from YouTube for
later viewing, and I get .mp4 (MPEG-4: H.264) files - which is probably
what's in the .mov container as well.  (.mov is another one of those
container formats that can have a lot of things, but these days I believe
the 'default' is H.264.)

YouTube is probably saving them into some temp storage and then converting
them at their leisure, would be my guess.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.