Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:59:25 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgraded to 4.2 -> Can't sysinstall ports

* Daniel Yoo <danny@vkpc.com> [20010115 05:59]: writing on the subject 'Upgraded to 4.2 -> Can't sysinstall ports'
Daniel> Hi (again!!),
Daniel>
Daniel> I upgraded to 4.2 and now when I try to use sysinstall to install a port,
Daniel> I get a message saying that 4.2-STABLE does not exist on the server. I'm
Daniel> using ftp.freebsd.org, and I tried logging manually onto the server to
Daniel> find some sort of 4.2-STABLE directory but there was nothing of the sort.
Daniel>
Daniel> Instead I thought I'd just go to /usr/ports/... and do a make from there.
Daniel> But I got a message saying that the port uses an old layout? I'm not sure
Daniel> what to do from here. Any help would be appreciated.
Daniel>
Daniel> PS. Thank you to all who e-mailed about SSH not working due to a new entry
Daniel> needed in pam.conf for 4.2.

Okay Daniel, I missed that info about SSH. Please cc it to me.
About the info you get that 4.2-STABLE does not exist
(/stand/sysinstall) - it is actually okay AFAIK - but I am not able to
explain why anyway. I have lived with that for a whole period since 4.2
went stable but no good info from the gurus. What I do (and so may
others do that too) is to go to options and change the label to
4.2-RELEASE, then get to the packages and you're there. This is what
some list members told me they were doing. Before that I used to change
the label to 3.5-STABLE and proceed. I'd only manually do a make install
if a port reports some errors via sysinstall.

HTH

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

The sooner and in more detail you announce bad news, the better. -White's
Chappaquiddick Theorem