Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:43:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        Gilbert Gong <ggong@cal.alumni.berkeley.edu>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, Jeremiah Gowdy <jeremiah@sherline.com>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Advocacy?

On 20-Dec-01 Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> John writes:
>
>> Well, 2 of them work for Apple, so they
>> would probably go with OS X.
>
> Uh-oh.  Do they have an employment contract with Apple that makes any code
> they write anywhere property of Apple, or otherwise similarly endangers any
> work they might do on FreeBSD?

No.  Stop being paranoid.

>> How about the specific environment of working
>> on software that runs on FreeBSD whether it be
>> the kernel, userland tools, or KDE.
>
> In that specific and unusual situation, the best desktop is usually the
> target OS for the development, unless you have multiple machines.

It's not that unsual for people writing Unix software.

>> This includes adding tweaks for uniprocessor
>> boxes, for example.
>
> What sort of "tweaks"?

Spin mutexes in the kernel don't need to actually have a lock to spin against
since the disabling of interrupts that they perform is sufficient protection.
This provides savings by avoiding the rather expensive atomic operations needed
to implement a spin mutex.  This actually benefits server performance on UP
boxes as well, but I actually thought of this while trying to help out the
performance of 5.0 on desktops (usually UP machines, most people don't have SMP
desktops).

>> In fact, the BSD scheduler actually prefers
>> interactive user interface processes to
>> background CPU-intensive "server" processes.
>
> So much for server performance, eh?
>
> How does it distinguish between the two?

It doesn't, because they aren't that different.  Get that thought into your
head please.  The way it works is that when a process performs I/O, it's
priority gets bumped if it blocks waiting for I/O, and processes get "punished"
for using the CPU.  The more CPU they use, the more they get punished.  Thus,
processes that block on I/O a lot, including most user interactive programs and
things like web servers, get a boost since we can run the CPU intensive
programs while the I/O ones are waiting for I/O to complete.