Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:42:14 +0000
From:      "Robert  Woolley" <freebsd-questions-lists@morbius.sent.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spam Assassin?

Though I've not actually used it myself, I did once look at the
documentation.

I don't think you do actually need spamd, the normal way is to have
procmail run spamassassin directly as a perl script.

Spamc is a lightweight c-coded frontend that connects to spamd over a
socket; it eliminates the overhead of restarting perl for every mail, and
it also allow SA to run on a dedicated machine. The spamc/spamd
combination is really intended for high traffic mail systems.

I can't recall how you pass an email to the SA perl script, but google
should turn it up.

Robert  Woolley