Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:45:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>
To:        Remy NONNENMACHER <remy@synx.com>
Cc:        support@yard.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network problem with FreeBSD/Yard (yardnetd)

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Remy NONNENMACHER wrote:

> no, TCP_NODELAY allows your local stack to immediatly send packets to
> peer without waiting for a ack. It's also called the Nagle algo.
> It is intented for applications sending a lot of small packets. Delaying
> send in this case is good since it allows the local stack to accumulate
> data and build bigger pakets.

I did some testing with the ...ack_delayed=1 (not modified)
and with the TCP_NODELAY  forced in tcp_output.c (horrible hack)

I obtained the same result and the database was really fast
so, TCP_NODELAY could at least be a work around if Yard compiled a version
of their program with this flag set.
(actually the database is unusable 1 raw/s [without any hack])
but I'm not sure if it's the best solution

By the way, I aslo did some testing with tcpblast on the loopback

with  ...ack_delayed=1 and without my awful hack on TCP_NODELAY
I get a repeateable  30Mbs/s

with ..ack_delayed=0 or the hack I get a very irregular result going from
2 to 30 Mb/s

--
Didier Derny
didier@omnix.net