Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:55:00 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Joerg Wunsch <joerg@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: weird limitation on the system's binutils

середа 05 липень 2006 12:18, Robert Watson написав:
> Perhaps the world has changed since that time, but those sound like
> pretty good reasons to me.  So these are my recollections, but since I'm
> not an expert in our toolchain bits, I could be off in the woods somewhere.

Can we, perhaps start small and make the libiberty piece centrally available
(and of the most recent version)?

There is even a port of (devel/gnulibiberty), which its maintainer (CC-ed),
I'm sure, will be glad to see obsoleted...

We are currently building it four times:

/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/libiberty/libiberty.a
/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_tools/libiberty.a
/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/libiberty/libiberty.a
/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_tools/libiberty.a

And installing none...

Halving that, and installing the result to be usable by ports would be a
decent improvement, would not it?

	-mi