Date:      Mon, 08 Jun 1998 10:56:21 +0100
From:      Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I find out the current vidcontrol settings?

At 1998-06-05 22:24:58 UT, Doug White writes:

> On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Nick Barnes wrote:
>
> > Is there any way to discover the current the current video driver
> > settings? There ought to be a vidcontrol -a (or similar), c.f. stty.
>
> What do you want to know?

I want to discover the colours and the cursor appearance, in a shell
script.  This isn't a very important application, but it strikes me as
a general failing in this tool, and maybe in the underlying ioctls
which vidcontrol uses.  Also those ioctl's don't seem to covered in
the man pages.

Poking around a bit more (in syscons.c), it seems some of this
information (in the "flags" variable) isn't actually available via an
ioctl, which is a shame.

Nick B