Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 03:32:56 +0200
From:      Benedikt Schmidt <ry102@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security and firewall

Chip <chip@wiegand.org> wrote:
> I have a fbsd 4.0 box running nothing but natd/ipfw, and it appears to be
                ^^^
I would update to RELENG_4 or RELENG_4_4 even if you don't offer any
services to the net.
> fairly secure - I ran nmap against it from another fbsd box outside my
> network and it shows only the sunrpc port 111 open. I have added to my ipfw
> rules a rule that explicity denies port 111. I have also disabled inetd and
> yet get the following udp ports showing as open -  111, 514, 520.
Use 'sockstat -l4' to find out which processes are binding these ports.
514/udp is sylogd and can be disabled by adding 'syslogd_flags="-ss"' to
rc.conf.
Additionally it is generally better to start with denying everything
and make rules to allow only whats really needed.

--
Benedikt