Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 01:26:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@nvl.virginia.edu>
To:        Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: InfoWorld Electric: Linux Zealots Trashing FreeBSD, Berkeley

On 4 May 1998, Dag-Erling Coidan [iso-8859-1] Smørgrav wrote:

> David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net> writes:
> > I've been thinking that considering Netscape's release of their browser
> > source code that maybe it would be a good idea for IBM to do the same
> > with OS/2. IBM can't be collecting very much money selling OS/2. Well,
> > at least not much in IBM scale.
>
> You might be surprised.

	Yup, most people are.  Many people who predict the downfall of
unix cannot even list the number one vendor because it doesn't register on
the technical horizon for most of us.  Funny thing is that its competition
does.

	Last I heard the network OS vendors were ranked as follows:

	1. MS WinNT server
	2. Novell Netware
	3. SCO OpernServer
	4. IBM OS/2

	I forget whether the metric was dollars of sale or number of
copies.

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,