Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 10:06:35 +0000
From:      nclayton@lehman.com
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>, veers@disturbed.net
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The GPL might kill itself ?

On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 10:36:10PM -0500, W Gerald Hicks wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, W Gerald Hicks wrote:
> >
> > > A new license emerges:
> > >
> > > http://www.opentelecom.org/
> > >
> > > FreeBSD: The Power to Serve  :-)
> >
> > 	Uhm.
> >
> > 	Is it me, or does that site look STRANGELY like www.freebsd.org? I
> > suppose we can take this as collective flattery, but I find it disturbing.
>
> I don't know our SGML documentation format yet but my guess is that
> they both derive from a common ancestor.  Nik Clayton could elaborate on
> this...

Not exactly -- our web pages are written in HTML, just as theres are.

The general design and layout does look a little familiar (although
obviously not as slick and well put together as ours :-) ).

> The FreeBSD team has often stated that the resources of the project
> are available for the taking.  Even if they had derived from FreeBSD
> I'd guess this is OK with the project.  It *is* FreeBSD  :-)

Pretty much, yes.

> > 	So can someone explain te penguin at the bottom? Very very nasty..
> >
> > 	I smell a penguin^Wrat....
>
> *Shrug*  I suppose that the person responsible for the site is familiar
> with Linux.

More specifically, the machine hosting the website is running Linux.

> I expect FreeBSD to be very popular with the types of developers
> who will be interested in this, be patient and lend us a hand with some
> good advocacy on behalf of FreeBSD.  We don't need to alienate ourselves
> from the action.
>
> IMHO this is a project that is very good for FreeBSD.  I certainly hope
> that some of -core get interested in the project as well.  I believe
> very strongly that CTI is very late coming around to FreeBSD which seems
> to be a natural fit for those applications.

If anyone knows anything about these sorts of applications, an e-mail to
them that started something like;

    I was browsing your site the other day, and was struck by the
    similarity in appearance to the FreeBSD site at
    http://www.freebsd.org/.

    FreeBSD is another Unix-like operating system where the source code
    is freely available -- indeed, some would argue it is more free than
    Linux, because it doesn't have the GPL restrictions attached.

    [ and then start talking about whatever it is you actually want to
      talk about ]

Might be a good idea.

--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--
--+==[              Year 2000 Testing: It's about time. . .             ]==+--