Date:      Fri, 06 Jan 1995 12:36:35 -0800
From:      eblood@winky.reno.nv.us (Eric Blood)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SLIP problems

I've been trying to setup SLIP with minor success.  The latest problem
involves the
following error:

sendto: No route to host

To make this happen, I do the startslip, run trn, and ftp to any site.  After
a few minutes, my RXD light on my modem stops.  I'll try restarting the ftp
session and get the error.  However, if I try and ftp to the internet provider
it works.  With ping, the name gets resolved to an IP number, but the error
comes up for any host.

A related issue is when I started the SLIP account I was told to set my max MTU
to 296.  I did so in netstart for the ifconfig line for sl0.  Also, the TCP MSS
is supposed to be set to 256.  Where is this set?  The internet provider said
that Linux does this automaticly.

Other than that, SLIP is working.  It's definitly a step-up from a shell
account.
=)

EVB