Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:19:25 +0200
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm@dino.sk>
To:        gljennjohn@googlemail.com
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Guruplug Server Plus working to some extent...

On Thursday 21 October 2010 10:43:52 Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 23:09:37 +0200
> Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm@dino.sk> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Second ethernet interface could be created uncommenting its definition in
> > .dts file. With this configuration active, interface gets detected and
> > created, but still something is wrong. Maybe my phy definition should be
> > changed, but I do not have much knowledge in this part of system. I did
> > not found much information detailing creation of .dts files, either.
> >
> > Actually it looks like receiving packets works but not sending. Interface
> > status changes on plugging/unplugging cable, tcpdump shows packets coming
> > in and replies coming out on guruplug, but no reply is seen on wire. If
> > arp packet is coming in, it is seen in arp table on guruplug device. On
> > the other side, it is not.
> >
> > Also, mge1 does not have ethernet link address (MAC) initialised, they
> > are all-zero:
> >
> > # ifconfig mge1
> > mge1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> >
> >         options=8000b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,LINKSTATE>
> >         ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
> >         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
> >         status: active
> >
> > When devd is active on startup, system hangs when mge1 is detected. No
> > difference whether cable is plugged or not.
> >
> > If someone has any idea or patches to test, I am all ears. What I already
> > found, does not aplly well to current status, but having unusable
> > interface does not make me happy :(
>
> The first thing that occurs to me is to assign a fake ETHADDR to this
> interface in the driver (or u-boot or .dts) and see whether it starts
> working.

Well, I should have noted this, but I did

ifconfig mge1 ether <MAC-from-uboot>
ifconfig mge1 192.168.17.1/24

and tested it with another usb network adapter connected with cross cable.
I looked on both guruplug and notebook with tcpdump and packets sent from
notebook to guruplug (usually arp's) are seen by tcpdump on guruplug and
inserted into arp table. The other way it does not work - tcpdump on guruplug
sees responses sent, but not on the other side.

Regards,
Milan