Date:      Fri, 3 Feb 1995 07:51:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Bynum <bynum@sed.cs.fsu.edu>
To:        billlee@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Books, Etc. on FreeBSD??

> If there are few or no books specifically about FreeBSD, then which UN*X
> books are best for learning to use and administer FreeBSD?

The book that everyone always recommends is:

 Nemeth, E., et al. UNIX System Administration Handbook,
 Prentice-Hall Software Series, 2nd Ed., ISBN 0-13-933441-6,
 1994.

It is probably the best book on Unix Administration out yet (or at least one
of them). It is not FreeBSD specific buts talks about several different
UN*X implementations derived from BSD and System V. We are using it in a class
at our school and haven't had any problems with it. It was just published (the
second edition) last monty, so it may be still a little hard to find.

The one good UN*X tutorial I have heard of is "Unix for Dummies," I don't
happen to have any of its relevant information, but it is one of the set
of "... for Dummies" books that are regarded highly.

Mark Bynum
bynum@cs.fsu.edu