Date:      Tue, 09 Apr 96 12:31:01 +0200
From:      "CARLO LONGONI @MLN" <longonic@luccioa1.itgate.mln.mts.dec.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   I: freebsd questions

[This message is converted from WPS-PLUS to ASCII]

TO :  questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Subject : Xfree86 mouse problems on Freebsd 2.05

Hello there,

I've bought the CD version of FreeBSD from Walnut Creek which included Xfree86 3.1.1
but I'm having some problems to use the last .

First of all I will tell you something about my configuration ,I have a Compaq Presario
7150 Pentium 75 PCI with S3 Trio64 Svga card ,16 MB RAM ,520 MB Hard drive and a ATAPI CDROM (I know is not yet supported , but you think I will be able to use it in the future with a patch maybe ?...) .

I have installed FreeBsd from a dos partition after having created a 133 MB Freebsd
partition with the custom installation and I've installed the common distribution set
plus the "system" sources and the xfree86 kit.

After the installation I've configured XFree86 to use the X interface but trying to
start it I've got the following error message :

device not found /dev/mouse.

After reading through the documentation I've realized that I had to reconfigure the
kernel to have my mouse ( a normal PS/2 with two button) be recognised from the
operating system.
So with the help of the LINT example I've created a MYKERNEL containing the following
instruction :

device psm0 at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr

I've recreated successfully the kernel and I've tried again to run X application , and this
time I've received the following error :

no device found at 0x60

With some diagnostic program I've checked that the PS2 mouse is actually at irq 12
address 0x60 so I can't understand why Freebsd is not able to find it .

So at the end my question is how can I get to run X programs on my machine , what's
wrong with my procedure or what's wrong in my machine ?

Thank you very much for your attention and collaboration and congratulation for the
quality of the product .

 							Roberto  (Milan , Italy).