Date:      Mon, 1 May 2006 09:11:14 -0400
From:      "David Robillard" <david.robillard@gmail.com>
Cc:        patrick <gibblertron@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: BIND inside a jail on FreeBSD 6.0

------------------------------

Message: 23
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:36:22 -0600
From: "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To: patrick <gibblertron@gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

On Apr 28, 2006, at 6:57 PM, patrick wrote:

> I'm trying to run BIND inside a jail on FreeBSD 6.0, and I'm
> encountering the following problem:
>
> [root@jail /var/named]# /etc/rc.d/named start
> mount_devfs: Operation not permitted
> /etc/rc.d/named: WARNING: devfs_domount(): Unable to mount devfs on
> /var/named/dev
> devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RAPPLY: Operation not permitted
> devfs rule: ioctl DEVFSIO_RAPPLY: Operation not permitted
> Starting named.
>
> And then it doesn't start...
>
> (I realize that BIND already runs in a chroot'd environment, but I'm
> running a second copy of BIND on an existing development server as a
> secondary test environment.)
>
> The problem looks like it originates in /etc/rc.d/named:
>
>        # Mount a devfs in the chroot directory if needed
>        #
>        umount ${named_chrootdir}/dev 2>/dev/null
>        devfs_domount ${named_chrootdir}/dev devfsrules_hide_all
>        devfs -m ${named_chrootdir}/dev rule apply path null unhide
>        devfs -m ${named_chrootdir}/dev rule apply path random unhide
>
> I tried mounting the devfs outside the jail to the jail's
> /var/named/dev, and then commenting out these lines above, but named
> will still not start. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BIND is trying to setup a chroot(8) before it starts. If you're
already inside a jail, then IMHO it is a little overkill (i.e. Running
BIND in a chroot inside a jail).

Check the BIND related values in rc.conf(5). The chroot(8) startup is
triggered via this one:

named_chrootdir=3D"/var/named"    # Chroot directory (or "" not to auto-chr=
oot it)

So try setting it to

named_chrootdir=3D""

and it should disable the chroot code from the startup script.

Of course, if you still need to chroot(8) your named(8) install inside
your jail, then you're at the same point. Consider running another
jail perhaps? Or use BIND's view feature.

Hope this helps,

David