Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 2010 22:39:04 +0300
From:      Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading Boot Loader

02.08.2010 22:29, Tim Gustafson написав(ла):
>> PS: I've just recently changed my mind and moved from dedicated
>> vdevs to gpart. This gives possibility of:
>> 1. Having raw swap partition suitable for swapping/dumping.
>> 2. Updating bootcode online without loosing uptime.
>> Just in expense of some kilobytes of disk space.
>
> I too am using gpart to partition the drives: ad8 and ad10 are partitioned using gpart.  I'm attaching the output of "gpart list" to this e-mail.  Is there an easier/better way to upgrade the boot loader with gpart partitions?

Then you have no need in zfsboot, you shoud use gptzfsboot instead.

gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ad8
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ad10

This will install Protective MBR to first disk sector and bootcode to
first partition. You can backup them just-in-case or update one disk and
try to boot from it leaving second as the known to work solution.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.