Date:      Sun, 07 May 2000 12:11:44 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DVD API

It looks like a nice looking web page 8)

I would probably model such an application first in
UML using a tool such as jvision which there is
a linux version or togetherJ's whiteboard.

In particular , I would pay strong attention to factory
and visitor patterns to implement the media player.
There are of course other design patterns that are
relevant such as the mediator, singleton design
patterns, etc...

For a brief introduction to design patterns see:

A Little Java, A Few Patterns
Matthias Felleisen and Daniel P. FriedMan
1998

----------------------------
Design Patterns

Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
Erich Gamma
Richard Helm
Ralph Johnson
John Vlissides
1995

I also like Microsoft's Windows Media Player pluggable components
and the fact that is an active X component . Or in Mozilla's language,
it would be nice if this new media player could be an xpcom module
so it could be embedded in Mozilla or any other packages which
conforms to xpcom.

Berkeley's MASH Project presents a wonderful system for building
distributed multimedia applications and the project uses design
patterns.

	Enjoy

--
 Amancio Hasty