Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2024 19:16:18 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Kevin P. Neal" <kpn@neutralgood.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: clang fails libc++experimental test case...

On 22 Apr 2024, at 19:06, Kevin P. Neal <kpn@neutralgood.org> wrote:

> I'm looking at failing test cases with clang+llvm and I'm developing
> on FreeBSD. There are multiple failing test cases, but at the moment
> I'm looking at: clang/test/Driver/experimental-library-flag.cpp
>
> This case tests to see if clang properly attempts to link against
> either libc++ or libstdc++ depending on the flags given to clang.
> Except FreeBSD's implementation in clang/lib/Driver/ToolChains/FreeBSD.cpp
> doesn't support libstdc++ at all and just links against libc++. The
> result is a failing test.
>
> Is this intentional? If it is we can mark the test as unsupported on
> FreeBSD. If not intentional then we need to fix the clang driver.

I think we ripped out libstdc++ support many years ago now. If somebody
is really interested in that use case, they could spend the time to make
it work again, although it would be tricky to do, since there is no
standard location for those headers in FreeBSD anymore. :)

So short-term it is probably best to avoid running any of those tests
with -stdlib=libstdc++.

> I'd really, really like to be able to do a 'make check' on a build of
> clang+llvm on FreeBSD and have all tests pass. This is part of that effort.

How exactly are you running "make check"? Use the CMake-generated
Makefile from the upstream build system?

-Dimitry