Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:48:31 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>, FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: Ports base?

On Sunday, 24 November 2002 at  0:12:51 -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 12:03:46AM -0800, Peter Leftwich wrote:
>> I tried to install just the ports "base" using sysinstall but it
>> started to download the entire ports collection, and my HD space is
>> limited.
>
> I didn't think that sysinstall allowed you to install parts of the
> ports collection, only the entire collection (which is about 9MB).

Those were the days.  I've just checked out the ports tree, and it's
314 MB!  This is probably partially a consequence of the larger file
system block size on modern systems, and also of course because of the
CVS directories (each of which takes up 16 kB), for a total of 128 MB.
Even without them, though, that leaves 186 MB.

Greg