Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 06:53:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        pirat@access.inet.co.th, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uuencode takes very long time

pirat <pirat@access.inet.co.th> wrote:
> unfortunately, i had been stuck at a step of uuencoding.  it took a
> tremendious long time.  i was waiting for 18 hours for nothing.
>
> uuencode my-pr.tar.gz > my-pr.uue
>
> do you have any comments or suggestion ?

Hello!

 It's a common mistake... and, you could argue that since it's
 so common the interface to uuencode is, well, less than obvious.
 From the man page of uuencode:

    SYNOPSIS
        uuencode [file] name
        uudecode [-cips] [file ...]

 So, you see, when you had "uuencode my-pr.tar.gz", you were not
 trying to uuencode the file "my-pr.tar.gz" - that parameter
 provides the name to use when uudecoding (on the "other side",
 as it were.)

 Thus, the uuencode encode command was waiting for 18 hours
 trying to read something from stdin...

 There are several ways to handle this:

	cat my-pr.tar.gz | uuencode my-pr.tar.gz

 This provides the file as input to uuencode, and provides the
 same name as the name of the file when it is decoded.

 Another answer:

	uuencode my-pr.tar.gz my-pr.tar.gz

 Which says to uuencode the file named "my-pr.tar.gz", and
 when it is uudecoded, the file's name is "my-pr.tar.gz".

 Try either of those, I think you'll be happy with the
 results.

	- Dave Rivers -

--
rivers@dignus.com                        Work: (919) 676-0847