Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:46:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Tim Welch" <twelch@thepentagon.org>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound problems with rhythmbox

On Sun, September 24, 2006 3:02 pm, Tim Welch wrote:
> I'm having problems using rhythmbox while playing doom 3 or any of the
> quake series. If rhythmbox is running in the background, sound in the game
> is lagged by about 1-2 seconds (i.e.. shoot, enemy dies, then hear gun
> firing). This does not happen with other media players (xmms, moc, mpg123
> tested). Why does rhythmbox have that effect? I'm using the OSS sink.

Update:
  It seems to be working normally with the esound sink. Why would that
make any difference at all? This is with both freebsd and marcuscom
gnome (both updated within the last week) on two separate 6-stable
boxes. Both have an emu10k1 card on an intel based motherboard, and both
are plenty fast. I can't imagine what would delay a sound that is
directly using the oss driver more than a sound that goes through esound
first. Any ideas? I'd rather not run esound.