Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:19:50 +0100
From:      Ruben de Groot <mail25@bzerk.org>
To:        Kees Plonsz <kees@jeremino.hbunix.net>
Cc:        Cezar Fistik <cezar@arax.md>
Subject:   Re: newsyslog and chrooted bind on 5.3

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 07:45:56AM +0100, Kees Plonsz typed:
> Vince Hoffman wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >  since i updated my server to 5.3 and went with the default option
> > of chrooting bind, anytime named recives a HUP signal it dies. Is this
> > expected ? its a bit of a bugger as i will have to use cron and a short
> > shell script instead of an entry in newsyslog.conf.

You can let bind log through the syslog facility. I think that's even the
default. That way there's no need to "HUP" named.

> > Vince
>
> There was a discussion about that a few hours ago.
> Use "/etc/rc.d/named restart" instead.

That won't work with newsyslog. newsyslog needs a pidfile to send a HUP
to the logging proces after the logs are rotated.

Ruben