Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 2004 03:43:04 -0000
From:      "Max Laier" <max@love2party.net>
To:        <pf4freebsd@freelists.org>
Subject:   [pf4freebsd] Re: pf 1.59 and ALTQ install trouble

Hello,

if you followed the instructions in README.ALTQ step by step (1-5) you
created a directory "sys.altq" which holds the patched system source. If you
now try to build the kernel "the new way" (which isn't really new, but more
automated) you use the sources from sys *not* from sys.altq! That is why you
don't have altq_* symbols in your kernel.

If that wasn't the case (i.e. you patched in sys and did not create
sys.altq) I am very interested to hear what else went wrong.

Regards,
    Max

> Hi again,
>
> yes, I understood all that; I now think my problem is that I'm building
> and installing the kernel in the 'new' (and preferred, according to
> FreeBSD) way and not the 'old' way.  The PF instructions mention the
> 'old' way for building/installing the kernel, but I figured I'd try the
> 'new' way to see if it worked.  I took both the PF and ALTQ
> instructions and meshed them together, since section 5 in the PF
> instructions is where it is outdated.  Everything else is spot-on.
>
> I'm trying again with the 'old' method.  I think the ALTQ (and PF)
> instructions should explicitly state that the 'old' kernel
> build/install method must be used.
>
> Which leads to my request that they be enhanced so that either the
> 'old' or 'new' kernel method can be used.  I haven't used the 'old'
> method since about 4.6.

Well, "step-by-step"-instructions are to be followed step-by-step. That is
why we provide them as such. If you know what you are doing, you can build
your kernel "the new way" (i.e. patch in sys not in sys.altq or modify the
Makefile to reflect the change (good luck with that one ;))