Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 20:52:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>

Dear Sirs.

Our main server architecture here is FreeBSD, but unluckily we need
Linux software because there are no appropriate Fortran F90 compilers
and Delphi compilers for FreeBSD.

We got Kylix now and Kylix is Delphi 5/6 for Linux. Borland offers a
compatibility testprogram for the installation of KYLIX and I checked
our systems with that. I found out that the glibc was buggy and Borland
offers a patched version - I installed that patched version for RedHat 6.2
and the pretest software checked and said all things are all right. So far.

I prepared our master server for the installation and mounted the cdrom
within the /compat/linux-tree and then did a 'chroot /compat/linux', checked
by uname on which system I'am and got 'Linux'. Running setup.sh the first
time reported lots of errors due the lack of awk,whereis,more and cat, so I
had to install the mfirst and unluckily got them from a SuSe 7.0 system
and I think this uses a newer glibc 2.2 instead of the glibc 2.1.

The error I get is shown beneath.

My question is, how to get the lacking runtime images of these programs?
They are not in the linux_base port.

And what is about a complete Linux-Installation in the /compat/linux tree?
Is it possible to install a Linux-basic distribution, like RedHat 7.1 in
the /compat/linux tree and run all Linux software by the FBSD emulation?

--------------------------------
Borland Kylix System Compatibility Test

Checking loader....OK
Checking kernel >= 2.2....OK
Checking libc >= 2.1.2....OK
Checking libjpeg >= 6.2.0....OK

Looks GOOD !!!
This system should be able to run Borland Kylix!

root: /cdrom/borpretest: cd ../
root: /cdrom: ./setup.sh
./setup.sh: tail: command not found

                                   BORLAND KYLIX

Checking dependencies...
Kernel version >= 2.2.0....OK
Glibc version >= 2.1.2....OK
X11 Server....FAILED

Setup could not detect a suitable X11 server.

Do you want to install Kylix (default Y) ?  Y
Libjpeg version >= 6.2.0....OK

grep: /etc/issue: No such file or directory
ELF binary type "0" not known.
The setup program seems to have failed on x86/glibc-2.1

Please contact Technical Support.

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)