Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 05:00:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bruce Gingery <bruce@gtcs.com>
To:        freebsd-ports
Subject:   Re: ports/2241: eggdrop - A special TCL tool - an IRC Robotic Client.

The following reply was made to PR ports/2241; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Gingery <bruce@gtcs.com>
To: bitblt@sky.net
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 05:52:08 -0700 (MST)

 Having not received any mail (directly) either way about this protest,
 and not having time to follow freebsd-gnats, myself recently -- also
 seeing that the submitted port is still in "incoming/" ...

 I'm in the process of doing a v1.0o port, and eyeballing v1.1 which is
 currently in alpha.  As for the permissability of running eggdrop or
 any other ircbot, that depends entirely upon the servers and nets to which
 it connects  (unless run JUST for its own "botnet" capacities).  Frankly
 I'm wondering whether to upload it to freebsd incoming/, or merely post it
 off for inclusion on ftp://ftp.sodre.net/pub/eggdrop/ports - which already
 has mirroring all over the world.

 As for the comments quoted below, a perusal of the eggdrop author's
 homepage http://www.valuserve.com/~robey/eggdrop/  will show that
 will show that there are SIX IRC OPERs running them on EFnet, in
 addition to "common users".  "Buenissa" monitors and answers newbie
 questions in Undernet's #FreeBSD ( http://gtcs.com/Buenissa ) and
 has for about six months.

     <BLOCKQUOTE>
        Dominion Net (35 bots)
           mostly Canadian EFnet (no flood or warez bots allowed)
           will only link bots from recognized channels, who are approved
           on their respective IRC server(s) (6 bots are owned by EFnet
           IRC opers)

        EGGnet ...        70 bots
        GayNET/Alkienet   38 bots
        EspanNet          35 bots
        Russian Botnet    80 bots
        SubmissionNet     11 bots
        WarezNet          52 bots
        TrekNet            5 bots
        FishNet            6 bots  (act as an interactive concordance, too)
        BongNet           23 bots
        FSnet            134 bots
    </BLOCKQUOTE>

 There are many botnets which have not been reported, as well.  Buenissa
 currently links with 2 to seven other eggies in a botnet, from Spain
 to Los Gatos, Calif, to Indonesia.

 Can eggies be abused?  Sure - I've seen warbots built on eggdrop, but
 also totally beneficial channel service bots.  Any software can be turned
 to purposes not originally intended.  Certainly FreeBSD itself could.

 I hope to hear back from someone that there *is* interest in this port
 in the FreeBSD hierarchy.  I've held back on a port  of 1.0n partially
 because of the apparent "lack of interest", and on cleaning up  a port of
 ircu, as well.

 	Bruce Gingery	<bgingery@gtcs.com>

         Undernet: "Clue"