Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:01:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Recent -current Performance Drop?

I don't know if this belongs in -current or -smp, so here goes.

I am running -current SMP, cvsup, etc. late last night PDT.

# uname -a
FreeBSD celebris 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: \
  Tue Jul 11 09:53:15 PDT 2000 \
  tomdean@celebris:/usr/src/sys/compile/CELEBRIS-SMP i386

I have been using 'make world' as a stability/performance indicator.

The stability has been good.  I have had no recent panics, etc.,
during 'make world'.  I choose the times to update carefully.

Good work core team.

I seem to see somewhat of a performance drop in the past week.

I save the output of 'make world' I know this is not a benchmark nor a
very accurate indicator.  However, I believe 'make world' is a pretty
good torque tool for a lightly loaded, interactive, 'play' system.
And, disk I/O, compiling and executing user code is what interactive
users do.

If 'make world' puts out approximately the same number of lines, I
think it is doing about the same amount of work.

I see an increase in 'make world' time over the past week, or so.  The
number of lines of output has gone up slightly.  The time elapsed has
gone up more.

# world_time.sh
Make World Statistics
-current SMP, 2xP133, 96MB RAM, IBM Superstor 9G disk.
Lines is the number of lines of output produced by 'make world'.
Date     Lines Make Time Lines/Minute
-------- ----- --------- ------------
19991018 35281  6h40m16s 88.20
20000401 39490  7h56m18s 82.96