Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2001 20:20:13 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        ann kok <annkok2001@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tmp security

ann kok <annkok2001@yahoo.com> types:
> Hi all
> I have two questions about tmp directory
> 1/ is it automatically clear file after reboot

Not by default. If you want it cleared, either 1) add
"clear_tmp_enable=YES" to /etc/rc.conf, or 2) mount it on a memory
file system.

> 2/ how do I get information about tmp security?
> I read a book a command 'sort', suggest not to use tmp
> as temp directory

It's insecure to use predictable names for temporary files if you put
them where other users can create symlinks. Use the mktemp(3)
function(s) to generate names, and you can avoid that problem.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.