Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 2009 06:18:31 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Rolf Nielsen <listreader@lazlarlyricon.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Native PDF viewer

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 04:04:23 +0100, Rolf Nielsen <listreader@lazlarlyricon.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since I don't have Linux compat layer activated, and I have no need for
> it, I'd like to ask if anyone can suggest a native PDF viewer (I'm not
> fond of the idea of installing a compat layer for just one application).

There are gv (which is limited in some way, "fancy" PDF files)
and xpdf.

I can recommend "xpdf -fullscreen <file>" especially for use
in presentations.

In both programs, keyboard support (important for comfortably
browsing a document) is good.

Of course, KDE and Gnome provide their own PDF viewers, but
since you don't want to use the Linux ABI just for a PDF
viewer program, you surely won't want to install KDE or
Gnome just for the same purpose. :-)

But I have to tell you that for some very special PDF files,
especially those that use nonstandard stuff, and for those
that "process" input fields, the acroread port is still
on my system as "fallback solution".

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany