Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 19:24:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Adam Szilveszter <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@mail.prime.net.ua>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Appropriate Netscape 4.6 tarball for XFree86 on 3.1-S (all ELF)

Hi!

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Kent Stewart wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> Actually you downloaded the wrong version. They have a FreeBSD version
> at
> Netscape
> /pub/communicator/4.6/english/unix/unsupported/freebsd/complete_install
> communicator-v46-export.x86-unknown-freebsd.tar.gz
>
> You should have downloaded it.
>
> Kent
Well, there of course is a FreeBSD version (I am using it now) but the
question related to the Linux version which will also work. What's more,
if you download the BSD version, it will work as well. That's a nice
feature of FreeBSD, if it is running Linux emulation. (In fact, I have to
use a great deal of Linux user progs because they have not been ported or
written them for FreeBSD at all and since I am not a programmer I cannot
port them myself... smetimes it works sometimes it crashes. It depends.)

A nice feature of the Linux version of Netscape is that it can handle
plugins, like Shockwave Flash. (Although I am using RealPlayer 5.0 as a
plugin under the FreeBSD
version as well and it works but do not tell anyone else save for
video output which is garbled dunno why:-)))))

Regards:
          Szilveszter

          Szeged University
          Hungary