Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:50:04 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com
Cc:        lowell@be-well.ilk.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, ciscoaix@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: DHCPD config

"fbsd_user" <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com> wrote:

> Let me see if I understand you correctly.
>
> Your saying that dhcp client has no built in way to
> communicate to dhcpd the dns ip address it receives
> at boot time or during the normal lease update process?

Yes.

> That your suggesting the work around is to customize the
> dhclient-script code at the point where it determines the
> /etc/resolv.conf file gets deleted and re-written with the
> new dns ip address info, by adding code to parse into
> the dhcpd.conf file replacing the option line for
> dns ip addresses with the new ip address?

That was his suggestion, as I understood it.

> Well I looked at that script code and it's way above my
> ability to write script code at that level.

Good opportunity to learn some, if you've got a little time.

> The other suggestion of adding my own LAN DNS server
> is over kill because my LAN just has 2 pc's on it and
> the only purpose of the LAN is to share a single
> dynamic IP address from my ISP.

If you say so.  I don't find a cachine nameserver to _ever_ be
overkill.  In fact, I run one on my laptop _just_ for the laptop.
I do this because I've learned that I can never trust other folks
DNS to be reliable, and I never know who the laptop will be connected
to.  Personally, I recommend this route because it's not that difficult
and provices other advantages as well (speed being the one I noticed).

> There must be a lot of other people in the same boat as I
> am who have all ready customized the dhclient-script or
> more properly the /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks file to
> edit the dhcpd.conf file with the correct DNS ip address.
>
> Do you know of any web sites that contain dhcp scripts?

No, but I think you're right that there are liable to be examples
out there.  Have you googled?

BTW: please don't top post.