Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 23:51:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Henry Hojnacki <heh@TRICOPROD.COM>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Laplink connection

On 20-Jan-98 Henry Hojnacki wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I have been investigating using a laplink cable to connect two of my PC
> systems, both running
> FreeBSD-2.1.  I have searched through man of the docs and man pages, and
> still have not got
> a clue if this is even possible.  It is mentioned in the install README that
> it can be done.

If you have a tcp/ip capable parallel port, it will
say so during the boot messages. IE;

lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
lp0: TCP/IP capable interface

The network device is therefore called "lp0:", as
opposed to the printer device, which is "lpt0".

You need to set it up as any other network device.

    ifconfig lp0 address destination netmask,, etc....

It works just fine.. I do this between my laptop
and my desktop. If you turn on gatewaying on a machine
connected to the net and do your routing correctly, you
can even have the "laplinked" machine "on the net".

regards,

Jim Durham

Jim Durham <Television Engineer-Unitel Mobile Video, Pittsburgh>
  <Computer Consultant/Hobbyist> <Amateur Radio: W2XO>
  <Web:http://www.w2xo.pgh.pa.us>; <Packet:W2XO@W2XO.#SWPA.PA.USA.NOAM>