Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:03:50 +0200
From:      Thomas Vogt <freebsdlists@bsdunix.ch>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, Randi Harper <randi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: USB stick installation problems

Hello

Ken Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 09:13 -0700, Randi Harper wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Thomas Vogt <freebsdlists@bsdunix.ch>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I download and copied 8.0-BETA1-amd64-memstick.img to an usb stick as
>>> described at
>>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2009-July/051018.html.
>>>
>>> I can boot it and sysinstall runs fine. Later i chose USB stick as
>>> install medium but then i get a "no USB stick found" error. Is this an
>>> know bug?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Thomas
>> Possibly. Can you please tell sysinstall to rescan devices or restart the
>> sysinstall process and tell me if that makes a difference?
>>
>> -- randi
>
> Expanding on this slightly - I did have this problem on one of the
> machines I tested with.  What Randi means by having sysinstall rescan
> devices is go into the "Options" section.  Inside the Options Editor on
> the right side column there is an entry for "Re-scan Devices".  Please
> use that and then try a normal install.  That seemed to work for me on
> the one machine I had this glitch with.

Thanks for this information. Unfortunately it didn't work. I re-scaned
the devices but i still get "no USB stick found". Even restarting
sysinstall didn't help

The server has 14 sata disk, controlled via lsi controller as /dev/daX
devices like the usb stick. Could this be a problem?

I will try it with another usb stick.

Regards,
Thomas