Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:21:06 -0500
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Marcus von Appen <mva@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port system "problems"

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrot=
e:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:34:00AM +0200, Marcus von Appen wrote:
>> Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>:

>> > Actually, yes -- that's pretty much exactly what we're talking about
>> > here. =A0Why do you feel subpackages would be a bad thing?
>>
>> Because it makes installing ports more complex, causes maintainers to ri=
>> upstream installation routines apart, and burdens users with additional =
tasks
>> to perform for what particular benefit (except saving some disk space)?
>>
>> If I want to do some development the Debian way, I would need to do the
>> following:
>>
>> - install foo-bin (if it ships with binaries)
>> - install foo-lib (libraries, etc.)
>> - install foo-dev (headers, etc.)
>> - install foo-doc (API docs)
>>
>> With the ports I am currently doing:
>>
>> - install foo

I agree.

> yes but you do not allow to install 2 packages one depending on mysql51 a=
nd one
> depending on mysql55, there will be conflicts on dependency just because =
of
> developpement files, the runtime can be made not to conflict.
>
> I trust maintainers to no abuse package splitting and do it when it make =
sense.

> In the case you give I would probably split the package that way:
> foo (everything needed in runtime: bin + libraries)
> foo-dev (everything needed for developper: headers, static libraries, pkg=
-config
> stuff, libtool stuff, API docs)
> foo-docs (all user documentation about the runtime)
>
> of course there will be no rule on how to split packages, just common sen=
se.

Disagree. We shouldn't split for that. Have you seen how many Linux
users report when they can't compile one of application, just because
they didn't install the *-dev? A LOT (thousands and thousands)! When
it's A LOT then it means that it's flawed. If the upstream provide the
split tarballs then I do not have any problem with it.

Also, it will slow down the ports tree pretty bad if we do that way to
all ports.

> regards,
> Bapt

--=20