Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:01:00 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Jeff Baker <Jeff.Baker@ACADHOTLINE.net.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbee

At 01:11 AM 8/27/99 +0930, Jeff Baker wrote:
>Hi Mike
>Thanks for quick reply.
>
>>If you wanted to do a net install, you should only need to download 2
>floppy disks.
>
>That assumes that the box being setup is connected to the net somehow right?
>It isn't (yet!)

No, it does not.  It assumes you have net access on another machine where
you can create the two floppies.  Then take the two floppies, boot from
them, and configure the new machine to download all the necessary software.

>>What sort of ethernet card is it ? If its PCI, you dont need to worry about
>that.
>
>Sorry its an older 486 PC, - PCI wasn't invented! :-) .....I have a dozen
>Cards around here, I was trying an "autoconfig card (SMC), then I tried an
>Intel 8/16 but that didn't seem to go either, so right now I have a Winbond
>card in there. I picked that as it has jumpers I can set visually......where
>is WinMSD in FreeBSD? .... how do I find out if it is seeing the card,?

You are probably best off just using the generic NE2000 card. I sounds the
Winbond card is ne2000.  So, after you follow the steps for the net install
off the two floppies that you downloaded and did an fdimiage kern.flp a:
fdimage bootmfs.flp a:, in the hardware config screen, configure the ne2000
for the IRQ and address you set the card for.  If you already have
something installed,

do a
dmesg | grep ed0

ed0 is the name of the driver for the ne2000 card.

>>See www.apache.org
>ummmm I think I have a dozen or so steps before apache

Yes, but thats where the documentation is for the web server software.

	---Mike