Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 20:05:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netgraph...

Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
> >NGM_ENCODE_ASCII and NGM_DECODE_ASCII convert between ASCII and
> >binary formats for a control message.
>
> Still not sure about these.  I think debugging decoding belongs
> in userspace.

?!?

You can't avoid having the encoding and decoding done in the kernel.

I guess I must have miscommunicated. Yes debugging belongs in
user space and that's where it would be, with the exception of the
code that implements these two messages that do the actual
type-specific encoding and decoding from/to ASCII..

If you wanted it *all* in user space then you have to:

 - Separate the encoding/decoding methods from the rest of
   the node methods, or
 - Do the complicated ELF sections stuff, or
 - Some other complicated thing..

This is what we want to avoid -- and you were the first one to
argue for doing so! We all agree with that. So we're avoiding this
by having these two new message types.

-Archie