Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 10:15:11 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rdate:: which knob...

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 09:21:09AM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> kline@tao.thought.org (Gary Kline) writes:
>
> >   I'm running ntpd on my DNS server and wamt to sync up my inside platform.
> >   rdate, pointed at fubar gives me the following socket error::
> >
> >   rdate -p fubar.thought.org
> >   rdate: Could not connect socket: Connection refused
> >
> >   Which knob do I turn in inetd to let rdate thru?  Is it ``nntp''?
> >   I ought to know this... .
>
> 'time'
> But if you're already using ntp to *get* the time on the DNS server,
> I'd recommend using that to *give* the time to your inside machine as
> well.

	How?  My DNS server gets its time from a nearby timeserver.
	I was thinking of sychronizing my inside server(s) by using
	simply rdate cron'd every N minutes.  How can I tell ``fubar''
	to give its corrected timestamp to other machines behind my
	firewall?

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline    kline@thought.org  www.thought.org    Public service Unix