Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:59:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jhs@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, commercial@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Licensing Software

> > Machine ID:	32 bit value
> > 		use network tuple
> > 		use ifconfig interface
> > 		attempt to subvert via kernel hacking will damage ifconfig
>
> No, do not use any form of network address for machine
> identification.  This sort of idiocy is one of the most significant
> barriers to the IPv6 transition and to flexible renumbering in
> general.  Network addresses are just that, ADDRESSES.  They are
> subject to change at will, without notice, and without any recourse on
> the part of the licensee.  (Some of the other proposals for IPng would
> have separated the addressing and identification completely, but
> unfortunately this did not happen.)

The return from the hostid function is supposed to be a 32 bit value.

One of the biggest barriers to IPv6 transition?  I don't think so;
why would it be a barrier?

Flexible renumbering in general?  Yes, I'll admit it's a barrier
to flexible renumbering.  Under what circumstances would you want
to allow a license host to "flexibly renumber"?  To hide the
licenses from Billy-Bob?  It makes no sense.

If you are talking about renumbering for some other scheme than
transient connectivity and/or temporary address assignment (neither
of which should apply to a license hosting host), I'd suggest allowing
renumbering under software control of fixed installations is silly
and unnecessary and is the reason we have non-numeric machine "names"
associated with the tuples in the first place:  so we can move the
tag around without moving the tuple.

> DEC's license manager does not identify machines at all.  You can in
> fact just copy /var/adm/lmf/ldb from one machine to another and it
> will work just fine.  (We can legally do this because we have a site
> license.)

But if you didn't, you could still illegally do it.  The point is
that you want a software barrier to illegal activity.

> If PCs had some sort of IEEE 802.x address burned into them
> as a sort of serial number, you might be able to do this, but they
> don't, so you can't do this, either.

I don't know about your machine, but mine has one:

	# dmesg | grep de0
	de0 at pci0 dev 6 function 0: DC21040 [10Mb/s] pass 2.3
	de0: Ethernet address 00:80:48:e8:1b:b1
------------------------------*****************
	de0: enabling 10baseT/UTP port
	de0: interrupting at irq 11
	de0 <Digital DC21040 Ethernet> rev 35 int a irq 11 on pci0:6
	de0: DC21040 [10Mb/s] pass 2.3 Ethernet address 00:80:48:e8:1b:b1
	de0: enabling 10baseT/UTP port

The problem with using this value is that it is larger than 32 bits.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.